There is something about black and white that is always appealing. Even for those that love color, the right balance of blacks whites and grey always look great and provides a perfect backdrop for a livable space. The combination of opposites can be graphic with high contrast or it can be soft and calming when it includes varying shades of gray. Regardless of the intensity, the lack of color can work in many interiors. Black and white artworks can either compliment a quiet monochromatic space or can provide a subtle contrast to a more colorful room. Here is a selection of RE artworks - and 15 different rooms to inspire using timeless artworks in shades of black, white and gray.
1. The photo above is a stunning installation of a pair of abstract landscapes by John Duckworth at a Holly Hunt showroom. Each landscape is beautiful in its simplicity. When paired as a diptych connected by the horizon line it becomes something different, more complex. In the elegant interior it makes a strong statement.
2. Simple and graphic black and white framed works on paper are effective as a grouping above in a classic interior or a larger painting that can carry a whole space
4. A graphic large scale painting makes a bold statement in this entry
5. I always loved this series of black and white photographs, perfect for a long hallway, from a project we did for a Connecticut showhouse
6. Pattern in black and white. The large scale photograph is the focal point of this corner, complimenting the artisanal elements
7. Shades of grey in the commissioned painting by Kerri Rosenthal adds a modern element to the warm family room
8. Organic textural grays, the artwork and the furnishings are cozy and inviting
9. Horse photography in black and white
10. Very large scale photos fill the long hallway
11. Florals. We usually think of color when we think of flowers, but here are a few black and white florals, unexpected and just as beautiful as color. Soft abstract painting in a master bedroom
12. Modern botanicals in a large scale mounted in plexi, a contrast to the more traditional elements
13. I love how the sculpture adds another dimension to this beautiful NYC garden
14. Zebras and other animal prints are a welcome addition to any home, in art and accessories. In this case, the zebras were meaningful to our clients. Memories of their African safari honeymoon and wanting their young children to enjoy the artwork made this a great choice for them.
15. White on white. I wrote a post last March talking about the colors and light at the end of winter, as we transition from the bleaker greys and whites of wintry months to the brigher lighter days of spiring. In the Many Colors of White , I shared warm artworks in shades of white. In different materials and textures, these artworks bring an artisanal feel to a space. The layered resin in this sculptural artwork brings dimension to the sleek modern room.
Modern, contemporary or classic and traditional, adding a black white, or gray artwork to your space is always timeless. Monochromatic or high contrast art can compliment a space by adding a variety of elements, fun, classic, striking, artisanal or a quiet calm.
Wishing you a happy (almost) spring!